Sunday, June 17, 2012

I am here!

The past couple days have been amazing, exhausting and slightly unclear.  We left Saturday morning from RDU and flew into JFK then on to Copenhagen with no hiccups.  During the eight hour flight over the Atlantic, my body continued to think it was on NC time, so when they told us to close the window and turn out the lights, my body refused to believe it was night.  It didn't help that somehow the sun never really fully set (I kept sneaking looks out my window).  I thought of one of my boys favorite Disney movies, Rocketman, when the monkey steals the astronauts sleep chamber on the way to Mars and he has to stay awake for three months while everyone around sleeps.  I was very lucky to have such a nice seat mate who was able to sleep and not be annoyed by my reading light and constant checking out the window. 

When we landed, we went through customs with unbelievable efficiency, took the train into the city and walked to our hotel to store our bags.  Being 9:00am the rooms were not ready for check in until 3:00pm.  Buoyed on by the sunshine, we walked to our brunch destination.  It was a lovely buffet set up in a modern little restaurant.  When I say buffet, it was not the kind of American set up with rows of unending food.  There was one round platform covered with a variety of cheese, breads and meats.  There were thermos to pour cups of coffee and tea.  Sauces were available in a thick Danish honey, jams and others I could not identify.  My favorite was a kind of squash bread and delicously light sausage balls. 

Possibly sitting and eating, although unavoidable, may not have been a good idea.  The day had turned from bright and sunny to cloudy and rainy, a phenomenon we would see repeated all day, and my supply of energy had finally seeped out.  Our very excellent tour guides suggested we push on and try to make it until at least 8:00pm to sleep, so onward we trudged to the Glyptoteket Museum (museums being free on Sunday).  The art was simple and extraordinary.  There was an entire room of Degas sculptures...

Uh oh, my battery is dying...more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment