Friday, June 22, 2012

Denmark Day 6

I meant to go to Sweden, I really did.  We were on the way to the train station in the pouring rain and planned to stop in at the National Museum for about an hour.  But I just couldn't leave, I had to stay and see every inch of that museum.  Plus it was warm and cozy and very quiet inside and I was soaked through from the rain.  I spent one hour alone in the 1500's with trapestries, painted ceilings, and dower chests.  I looked at those stitches and thought of the person who made them, the family who owned them and the travels they had made to arrive at this place.  I felt like I was literally sucked into the bowels of the building, twisting and turning through time and place.  Each time it spit me out into the middle of the bustling shop and cafe area, I felt a bit dazed and bleary having to adjust to the modern world.  I was able to go through six of the eight exhibitions, visiting over 100 rooms in just under six hours.  I could have spent another entire day!

I did eat lunch in the cafe which served a wonderful salmon "sandwich" for only 65 K.  The word sandwich is misleading as there is no possible way to pick the thing up and bite it.  It is meant to be eaten with a knife and fork and consisted of a mountain of salmon on thick bread with some kind of delicious sauce and red celery, carrots and lettuce.  I had ordered a chocolate croissant and tea with it, but had to carry the croissant out since I was so full.  Good thing, too, since I didn't come out for so long. 

The rain stopped probably 10 minutes after I left the museum, so I went for a stroll around the palace grounds.  I must say, I didn't even realize that Denmark had a Queen.  They have the very same set up as England.  It is a lovely palace but I did not tour since I had to be back to the hotel for our group meeting and dinner, which i am off to now. 

I will find out how the others did on their trip to Sweden.  Today was a very special day, the summer solstice, and apparently there is a huge celebration.  Shops and restaurants are closed for everyone to come out in honor of summer!  I could definitely agree with that, although it was a bit cold and rainy today.  I will have to come back again so I can experience Sweden.

This is it, then.  Tomorrow I fly home to North Carolina.

1 comment: