Thursday, June 21, 2012

Denmark Day 5

I think I am finally adjusted to the 6 hour time change...now that it is time to return!  Tonight is the first night I have actually been tired at the normal bedtime.  I never made it to the pub last night.  Instead I went with my friend to see if we could find her some vegetarian food.  After many strikes, we finally ended up at the train station.  She had a veggie sub and I had chocolate cake and latte (oh, maybe that is why I couldn't go to sleep last night:)

This morning we went to see a waste treatment plant to hear how they manage the recycling and incinerating of waste.  I had no idea how much was involved, especially in the way of regulating the air based on what was emitted from the waste.  Nasty!  It does shed a whole new light on the importance of recycling.

Next, we took a bus out to Soro to visit a science camp for students.  They are chosen by their teachers based on talent in science and math to spend a few days and nights at the facility learning in a very hands on way.  The center is on a property that is over 800 years old and was formerly the home of monks that ran the church there.  I loved standing on the grounds looking at the old dormitories facing the water and thinking it was the same view the monks had in their day.  Following Denmarks conversion to Protestantism, the facility was turned into a boarding school for noble and common students.  As far back as 1500, girls were educated at the school.  That was a very progressive idea for the time!  What was it that even so long ago made the Danes lean toward progressive, egalitarian systems and beliefs?

Most of our group traveled to Sweden this evening, but since it was late, I stayed behind with the "librarian" group and we went to Tivoli.  Tivoli is a beautiful old amusement park with outdoor concerts, rides, gardens and shopping. We only walked through, but the Hans Christian Andersen influence was unmistakable.  The water shooting game was full of top hats and there was a "small world" ride with all the different characters from his stories:  Thumbelina, The Little Mermaid, Princess and the Pea, etc. 

Tomorrow is the last day, so the librarian group is heading to Sweden early to tour a castle and possibly the canals.  Heading home soon!

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie--It has been so much fun to follow your trip with this blog and Jeff's. You both have shared really interesting details about your trip. did you see Jeff's picture of him in the toilet? hard to top that for a vacation picture! say "hey" to Katie for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so jealous. Art, vikings, bridges, tea, cake, giant toilets, and yarn!!! It sounds like you are having a fabulous time. I love reading about your explorations and so looking forward to hearing about your castle adventure. I hope you are taking lots of pictures. We shall have either tea or a latte together and relive it all. Praying for you:)

    ReplyDelete